Friday, November 12, 2010

Chili Party, Slow-Cooked Mac and Cheese

November 12th Well, it's been a long week. Not so much for me, but for my poor derby wife who had surgery on her broken fibula. She is doing fine and thanks for all who have written, called, texted and facebooked her all week. Right now she is munching on some queso and floating with a little percocet (sp?). Sounds like the American dream to me, well, maybe the Mexican dream, but you might end up getting shot at the border. No offense to the great country of Mexico of which I have visited a couple of times. It is a beautiful country with great food and wonderful people. It is a shame they are going such turmoil. Let me recap some of the things I have done since I last posted. First off, I would like to apologize to those who follow this. I have not been cooking as much due to work, fibulas, etc. But now that my wife does not have derby four nights a week, she will have to be subjected to some culinary experiments, of which I should be able to share on a more regular basis. I did find on one of my days off some time to throw together a macaroni and cheese slow cook recipe. I will share this gem in a bit, it is tasty and absolutely rotten for you, but I needed a little comfort food - so I hunkered down and took the cholesterol like a man. I voted - I even got that little sticker to prove it. Now I am not a political pundit, and frankly, if you wanted to sit and chat with me about the state of affairs, about halfway through you would get up and leave (if you lasted that long). What I do know is that the tea party apparently took over. Every time I hear "tea party" my imagination takes me to colonial times complete with three-tipped hats and white stockings. I picture these people in powdered wigs and muskets storming the White House and declaring that from now on, things are going to change. We talk about change alot every election and the only thing that does change are the representatives who do nothing. Change is the buzzword on the campaign trail, but apparently the use of that word is relegated to their individual pay increases and addresses. We can't complain, we vote them in, but what choice do we have. Election time is a painful time for everyone. We want to make a difference, and when we turn in that sheet, we think we are being good citizens and participating in what made this country great in the first place. It's what we have to deal with prior to this moment that drives us absolutely crazy. Political advertising, especially locally, is ridiculous. Not once did I see an ad that showed the candidate express what they wanted to do to make things right. Sure, I heard how such and such candidate was a crook, or how they hated old people, or how they liked to kick three-legged puppies. But not once did I see an ad with a candidate explaining what THEY were going to do for our state, county, etc. I was always receiving information on who I shouldn't vote for, not why I should vote for someone. And another thing, who are these people holding the signs and waving at me all day. Who are you? Do you really think that because you have a sign with a name on it, that I am going to vote differently. DO something that matters. Print one big sign, and on it, explain what this candidate you are supporting is going to do for me. Make copies and go to all of the major intersections. I need information, not some 20 year old who probably has no idea who the candidate is waving frantically at me. Also, if you won, and even if you didn't, pick up your damn signs. I know littering and the environment were not part of your campaign promise, but it's still a nice thing to do. All in all, I have no idea if my vote made a difference. I don't even remember who I voted for. Let's just hope something happens, anything. On a more jovial note, I recently attended a chili party. A couple of good friends of mine Sharon and Chris (who throw the best parties, I might add) asked everyone to bring a chili. There were hot ones, mild ones, lamb ones, meat ones, veggie ones. Almost sounds like a Dr. Suess cookbook. We also were asked to bring whiskey. This sounds like a volatile combination, but if you've never tried it, I suggest you do. It seems the more whiskey you drink, the more chili you want to eat. I couldn't explain the physiology behind this, but your body will know what to do once you start. Anyway, I filled up my tummy on meaty goodness and went outside where two good sized campfires were burning. I couldn't help but think of that scene in "Blazing Saddles" where the cowboys are constantly farting as they chow down on beans. This wasn't happening of course, because the fire did not get bigger in shorts bursts. If it was happening, the whiskey made for a good olfactory buffer. At this campfire there was entertainment, a couple of dancers balanced fiery sticks while someone played seductive bongos. It was really quite neat. I thank them for their hospitality. Here is a quick chili recipe that used the mole sauce I used in a previous post . . .Here is what you need. 1 lb of lean pork cut into cubes 1 Cup fat free chicken broth 1 can 14.5 oz diced tomatoes undrained 1 can 15.0 oz black beans, rinsed and drained Mole sauce (see previous post) salt and pepper to taste chopped cilantro Combine all ingredient in the slow cooker with the exception of the salt, pepper and cilantro. Cook for 6-8 hours. Top with cilantro and add spices as needed. Sour cream also goes really well with this. Ok, now lets hit that mac and cheese recipe. Here are those ingredients . . . 3 cups of whole milk, I used 2%, it was fine. 1/3 cup of flour 1 cup of blue cheese 1 cup of goat cheese crumbles 1 cup of sharp cheddar .5 cup of parmesan (ok, as you can see, this is not for a lactose intolerant individual, and even if you have an iron digestive system, this will still give you the tummy rumbles.) 1 lb cooked ziti (or pick the pasta of your choice). Take the flour and milk and combine in a large bowl to get all of the lumps out before you toss it into the slow cooker. Add all the cheese with the exception of the parmesan, that is the dairy goodness that goes on top. Put the cheese mixture in the slow cooker, then add the cooked pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan and some parsley and cook on low for 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment